This is the last of the 20 Spices Challenge! I’m done, whee!!!
As promised, I’ve used at least one spice/herb/seasoning from my Kamenstein spice rack each week for the past few weeks. I have to say some of them may never see the light of day again, but at least they didn’t just sit unopened from the start.
To be honest I’d kind of been dreading pizza seasoning because I couldn’t really think of any ways to use it other than on top of pizza. I admit making calzones isn’t really treading too far away from pizza, but at least it wasn’t just sprinkling the seasoning on top of a hot and cheesy pizza. And it actually took me way less time to prepare these than I expected.
Mushroom Shrimp Calzones
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of pizza seasoning
- 10-15 tablespoons of shredded Italian cheese (of mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano, fontina, and asiago)
- 6 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 frozen cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Mix together the water, salt, flour, sugar, yeast, and pizza seasoning, kneading as needed.
- Divide in half, and roll each half into a large rectangle to 1/4-cm thickness.
- Put each half on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spread 3-5 tablespoons of shredded cheese down the middle of each calzone, then top with shrimp and mushrooms, and then with the rest of the cheese.
- Make cuts 1 inch apart down each side, cutting within a 1/2 inch of the filling.
- Criss-cross strips over filling, sealing with water.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 30-40 minutes. Do not overdo it or the calzone will be hard.
Quick & Easy Marinara Sauce
- 1 14.5-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of pizza seasoning
- Heat up the tomatoes and garlic in a small saucepan, keeping it on high heat and stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- After 5 minutes, add in the pizza seasoning.
- Stir well and continue heating for another 5 minutes.
- Blend well, but don’t puree completely.